Let me tell you that smoothies make up about 45% of our caloric intake in the summer. You know that is a lie because you see a lot of what we eat. But, we really do make them a lot.
I actually eat so much fruit in the summer that I get stomach aches from it. But I don't even care. Because stomach aches get me attention anyways.
Now, everyone makes smoothies their own way. I would like to consider myself pro, because there are no rules and I can call myself whatevs I want. Here are my rules:
1. Always use frozen fruit. If you want to use fresh fruit, freeze it! I am telling you, nothing beats the consistency of frozen fruits. Plus, you can buy the big bags and have smoothies whenever you want. My favorite fruits to use are: strawberry, raspberry, mango, pineapple, blueberry, and peach. I always change it up, different combos.
2. Always include a banana. It smoothes it out...gives it a nice sweetness. If you don't have one, I am sure your smoothie will survive...but you will be missin' out.
3. I always add yogurt. Cuts into the acid of all the fruit. Gives it some creaminess. Plus, girlies, we need our calcium, so add some yogs whenever you can. Add whatever kind you want is fine, plain is good to control the sugar, vanilla is my favorite. And I can only eat full fat yogurt, I am allergic to low-fat ingredients. But use whatever you want.
4. You need some liquid. My favorite is orange juice (plus we always have orange juice...it is sad how much of the stuff we drink). But just add whatever juice or milk you got. Sometimes I squeeze some lime in there.
5. Lastly, my secret ingredient. Scot and I came up with this one night when we needed to use up some leftovers....AVOCADO. Let me tell you, it provides a textural component you would never believe. We love it. And an avocado a day keeps the doctor away. It is so so good.
As for proportions, all the matters to me is that you have enough liquid to get the blender going. And it helps to have a blender with an awesome/loud motor. Those frozen fruits are pretty hard.
As you can see, we eat smoothies by the mason jar, which is disgusting and amazing all at the same time.